Cotabato ‎(SOCCSKSARGEN‎, Region XII)


COTABATO CITY, a real life experience…
(‎SOCCSKSARGEN‎, Region XII)
March 31- April 4, 2012

Almost everyone believes that Mindanao (Southern Philippines) is a dangerous place to go… it is stigma created by longtime armed conflict in that place, so a lot of friends will say, “why go there, it’s a Muslim region… it must be unsafe for Christians.”

Police Camp (nearby)

I dismiss thoughts like this.  I am not afraid to travel.  I love to travel.  Chances are I can even dare go to the most remote places.

The airport in Cotabato City is located in Maguindanao – a place made infamous by the gruesome political massacre way back in 2009, just a few months before the National elections in 2010.

We traveled just few kilometers away going to the hotel where we are going to stay.




Along the road, we basically see a lot of uniformed men – i.e. along the ‘check point’ areas.  The road is a little bit rough, which is usually common to all the provinces; where industrialization is far beyond.

The weather was good when we got there.  It was quite hot, but very tempting for a nap on a “duyan” or a hammock under a tree.  I can say that the place seems to be peaceful!  People are kind, but their lips are sealed.

The venue is well known in the area.  It is near the market place, the Catholic Church, and a Police Camp.  A few steps away from our hotel is the Tantawan Park, where the famous Sultan Kudarat’s statue was erected.



I was reminded that ‘Datuism’ still exists in Muslim Mindanao, where elite leaders hold power.  Elite society does exist.



YES, fine dining restaurants can be found in the area.  Also, near the hotel, there were lots of fastfood grills where you can enjoy chicken on sticks, chicken intestines (ISAW) and steamed rice with chicken strips inside wrapped in banana leaves (PASTIL), and pork barbecue in Mindanao!?!

BUCHI, FISH, ETC.

SUCCULENT SEA CUCUMBER


CRUNCHY SHRIMP ROLL


Yes PORK is available in Muslim Region.  Who says we cannot eat pork in Muslim Mindanao? The ‘Drooling Lechon’ is likewise available in the place.  This of course caters to the tourists.

"LECHONG BABOY" (roasted pig)

In my local travels, I can say every place is unique.  But generally speaking, all Pinoys are very much accommodating, jolly and kindhearted.  You can always draw inspiration from the local vendors along the streets, from whom you can never hear complaints about what life offers them.

It was Holy Week when we traveled (April 2012). Then again, I was also amazed to see the old Roman Catholic Church nearby, which was packed with devotees.  Two masses are celebrated in the morning (one in English and one in the Visayan dialect) and two in the evening (also in English).  We were on time to hear the earliest mass at 5:30 AM.

"palaspas" (palm) vendor outside the church

Religious and Christian families were gathered on that special occasion (Palm Sunday) despite the bombings a few weeks ago infront of the said church.  I observed that most people there observe the Holy Week season.  I bought the so-called “palaspas” (Palm) for only P10 from the young vendors outside the Church.  The kids are too trusting.  I was not able to pay them because I had no coins in my pocket.  After the mass, I looked everywhere, but I couldn’t see the kids.  After an hour, I went back to look for the kids.  I was glad they were back and I was able to pay them.  I tried to interview them, but they were timid and would not start a conversation. Perhaps it was for security reasons.

Church goers waving "palaspas" (palm) for final blessing

We were picked up in the hotel to dine out.  Almost every time we went out, we traveled in convoy, with the vehicles installed with flickering lights.  I and my friend had the same thought – we were just attracting attention to our group. 

For the entire duration of the conference, men in uniform were keeping watch of the venue.  High-powered guns and arms were visible.  The regional governor, other top government officials, representatives of international groups such as the UN Agencies, foreign participants, and representatives of civil society organizations were among the delegates.  This made the event a high-profile activity.
Thank GOD, we are still alive.

Nevertheless, it was just another great experience for me and my friend.  I know we went there to work, but there were many “fun” activities in between.  The foods were great.  I liked the sea cucumber, the shrimp rolls, and the fish served by the fine dining restaurant.  It was definitely one of the best meals I had during our stay there.

There are a lot of social, cultural, political and economic problems being experienced by the people in the area.  Despite these problems, however, the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) turned out to be an amazing place, so with Cotabato City.  These areas were very rich in culture. 

YES, sad to say some people are taking advantage of their lands… their culture... their poverty situation.  The Indigenous Peoples (IPs) are mostly affected.  The internally displaced persons (IDPs), due to wars, are also neglected.  The fight between the state actors and the non-state armed group, which has marked the history of the area for a very long time now, still continues.

The Muslims have been fighting for the third generation of human rights, which is the so-called “right to self determination.”  It is now a big issue in the peace process in Muslim Mindanao.  This is a major reason why Muslim Mindanao has created a stigma in the international scene.  A lot of people may consider Mindanao uninhabitable, but the place has much to offer - simple life and happy people around.  Most of the people there say,”There’s nothing to be afraid of, as long as you take extra precautions.”

“In every forest there’s snake.”  To me, this saying shows reality that in every place, there are dangers awaiting us.  Wherever we go, there are always risks.  Some say, “There’s no safe place in this world.”  I believe this is so!

Again, I dismiss the thoughts about danger.  I do not invite negative ideas.  I always think about positive things in all my travels. 

Seeing the beauty of the forest will undoubtedly enable us to enjoy the places we travel to and have great experiences. HQQ2012
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regina Rica

Cordillera Mountain

Bohol Region VII