Taal Lake

The TAAL LAKE… short escapade after work!
TAGAYTAY, SILANG CAVITE and TAAL BATANGAS
NOVEMBER 27-30, 2012



I can recall the cartoon story few decades ago, uhrmmmn, during my younger years… (I can’t tell the exact date, I can’t divulge my age, sorry folks).

It is the Adventures of Sinbad, the sailor who travels around the world.  I can recall his adventure, eaten up by a whale (just like Jonah in our bible story), lost in the forest and even down under the crater of a volcano.   Since then, I dream of seeing a volcano’s crater… and Oh Yes, whenever I look down from the hill of Tagaytay City, I said to myself “soon I will see you!”



I had an unexpected call from the friend; she said I need to work for few days.  I then attended a 3-day workshop in Tagaytay City last November 27-29, 2012 at the Hotel Kimberly.   


It is a joint CHR-UNDP Project that talks about “Using Indicators for Monitoring and Implementation of Human Rights.”  Two (2) officers from United Nations Geneva, Research and Right to Development Division, travelled thirty (30) hours here in the Philippines to discuss such matters.  It was attended by selected high government official planners.

It is from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) who developed a conceptual and methodological framework for human rights in which the main objective is to adopt a structured and consistent approach for translating universal human rights standards that are useful at country level in relation with the nine (9) Core International Treaties.

Left to Right: Mr. Nicolas Fasel (OHCHR Geneva), Chairperson Etta Rosales (CHR), Deputy Director General Margarita Songco (NEDA) and Ms. Grace Sanico Stefan (OHCHR Geneva)


~ INDOOR EXERCISE ~

~ OUTDOOR EXERCISES ~


It was another very strenuous session for me; maybe because I am not an expert in that field.  Nevertheless, I said to myself “knowledge is still knowledge… gain whatever we can gain out of the discussion.”  It may be too scientific or too technical, but at least I must learn something out of it and of course enjoy the food…

~ Breakfast ~
Tawilis, Omelet and Local Sausage


~ Dessert ~
Ube yam topped with gata (coco milk), langka (jackfruit) and sago (tapioca ball)

~ Swiss Chocolate present from Geneva presenters for added energy ~


YES of course I did! …“Acquire relevant indicators, measure it and implement it.”

Basically, as an ordinary citizen, we all need to know our rights… at least the basic ones!

From the U.N. Declaration of Human Rights, we have listed thirty (30) basic human rights to enjoy.  But I guess I am more interested only with just two basic human rights; so far, I translated it literally.

Rule # 24: THE RIGHT TO REST AND LEISURE.

Rule # 27: THE RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CULTURAL LIFE OF COMMUNITY.

First day before working, we had had breakfast from one of the restaurants serving “bulalo”.  It is a well-known Filipino delicacy; it is a stew made from beef shanks and marrow bones.  It is an original cuisine from Batangas.  I could say, “delicious!” but hang on! Not good for those with high cholesterol and high blood pressure; good thing… I am still in good shape.

As an old saying goes… “a little of everything won’t hurt you.”  In everything we do, let us be reminded with our limitations every now and then.  We will all be fine.






Moreover, a trip to Tagaytay will not be complete unless you stop to sip a hot cup of coffee.   Hmmmn, the smell of brewed coffee in the morning is so addicting!  (Of course, only for coffee drinkers.)   We then stop for about an hour at the “Bag of Beans” Coffee shop; they are known for serving the “Barako” Coffee.

Barako (or Baraco) is a rare and exotic coffee grown largely in the Philippines.  It becomes a generic name for all coffee from the province of Batangas, but real Barako is actually Philippine Liberica.  It is known for its particularly strong taste, powerful body, and an overpowering aroma.  The beans are indigenous to the Philippines, though the trees can also be found in Vietnam and Indonesia.  There are four (4) identified species of coffee (Robusta, Excelsa, Arabica and Liberica).  The Liberica has the largest cherries and therefore, bigger beans.  Liberica is now predominantly grown in the province of Cavite; another province connecting to Batangas. (Source: www.barakocoffee.com)

After the long and tiring 3-day session, Taal Lake adventure is the only thing I have in mind.  I look forward of seeing the natural beauty of my own country and of course to experience the life of the common people living in the municipality of Talisay, Batangas.  It is always a pleasure to submerge to different folks.  Learn from their true experiences; listen to first hand stories, folklores or traditions, etc. or simply to have fun!

I am so grateful with my friend from CHR- UNDP Project Management Officer, Ms. Judith Fortin who is not afraid to go along with me; to take explore; to commute from Tagaytay down to Talisay, even though dusk is approaching… and of course covers all of my expenses!  Thanks Ms. Judith.



Along the road, I met Mr. Jerry, a jeepney driver.  I asked favor to help us find an abode for a night.  He was so kind to bring us to a safe place.  A small resort private place, called Club Lake Resort.  The place is very near from the famous Club Balai Isabel.  Mr. Ferdie, the person who managed the resort, he is very accommodating, down to earth and so kind.  Seem like we’ve known each other for a long time.

~ Mr. Ferdie Luna, Resort Manager ~

At first, Mr. Ferdie is having a little bit trouble because the whole cottage is occupied by priests and seminarians; who are also on a 3-day vacation.  We are unexpected guests so to speak.  But because of his hospitality we were accommodated.  Thank You, Mr. Ferdie for being an excellent host.  Two thumbs up!

Left to Right:
~ Ferdie, Me, Ms. Judith and Jing (boat operator) ~

The place was maintained mostly with “single” men… (YES! A lot single gents are hiding there; for single girls’ information.)  I feel carefree and relaxed.  No fancy things.  No flashy things.   Simple and Nice as I describe it.   Of course, we are treated like princesses! I love it.




It is such a fun place to stay and have a short vacation… away from the polluted, noisy and chaotic Metropolis.





Oh yes! what a great food! My all time fave in Batangas…


~ Ginisang Labanos (Sauted Radish) ~

~ Sinaing na Tulingan  (Bonita Fish)~
Cooked in a clay pot seasoned with kamias (same as Bilimbi Fruit) wrapped in banana leaves
We stayed one night at the resort and rented a bangka (banca) to cross over the Taal Lake.  It is roughly around 30-min boat ride from the resort going to the volcano, to the crater.

Let’s see a glimpse from our lake travel… as we cross towards the volcano side.

~ RENTED BANCA ~

~ FISHERMAN'S HUT ~

~ VIEW OF THE MOUNTAIN NEAR THE CRATER ~

Let’s see more shots from the other side of the lake shore.  The Municipality of Talisay welcomes the tourists usually from 7am to 7pm.  The entrance fee is very minimal.  


 
~ RECEPTION HALL ~


~ On the road ahead... ~
  

Strike a pose! He is one of the vendors... sitting beside Ms. Judith!
                                                                        

Mostly the tourists I have seen there are Koreans.

~ Lovely Korean Couple ~

We climb up going to the crater riding on a horse.

~ THE PREGY HORSE ~

The name of my horse is Shaira and my horse guide is Glen, a fifteen year old boy.  The trek going up is roughly 5kms, rough and dusty road.


Glen said he typically manages to climb up the carter side, twice a day; and during non-peak season, once a day only.  There are about 500 horses on a queue.  The rate of getting served is high; but the competition among them is too low.  Quite a sad story because they are not earning much on a two-way trip.  Maybe the local officials should take a second look on this matter.


It is a wonderful experience to really see the crater.  It is so amazing.  It is very hard to describe how I feel. 




It is just another perfect getaway from the Metropolis… I believe.  Another experience that is worthy to reminisce.  Thank You my Lord for sharing your nature’s blessing to us… I only hope that the people will learn to protect and preserve whatever we are enjoying right now.  Simply to love and respect the Mother Earth.

Let us just do our responsible share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Regina Rica

Cordillera Mountain

Bohol Region VII